SCHOTTISCHE - A traditional folk dance with two sidesteps to the left, and then two to the right, followed by a turn in four steps ... because it's OK to change my mind

Friday, November 10, 2023

Filling in the blanks


Now that my stems are stitched down, I've started to design and refine my flower and leaf shapes.  As we know, there are many ways to prepare applique motifs. Through the years, I've settled on a particular turned-edge method for my projects. I learned this method at a guild workshop many years ago.

 I create my templates from multiple layers of freezer paper pressed together and cut into the desired final shape.  

Shapes can be drawn (or traced) directly onto the dull side of the freezer paper.  Then several more layers are stacked under the top one which has the drawing, and all are pressed together with a hot iron.  I typically use three or four layers of freezer paper, which gives me a stiff cardboardy template.

 To finish creating my template, I cut out the shape directly on my drawn outline. Templates made using this method can be reused several times.  And I'm still on my original roll of freezer paper, after decades of template making.
 
The next step is to iron the template -- dull side of freezer paper facing up to the hot iron and shiny plasticky side facing down toward the fabric -- onto the back of my selected fabric. 

Then I trim away excess fabric, leaving a rough 1/4" margin all the way around for turning the edges. 

 I moisten the edges with liquid starch and press the margin fabric to the back side of the template.  I use a little Clover wand style mini-iron for this step, which is very useful for turning the narrow edges and small points without burning my fingers. 

Once everything is crisply starched, pressed and turned under, I pop out the template and position the shape into my applique composition.

I'm still thinking about color options, working with my 'medium' toned background.

***************