SCHOTTISCHE - A traditional folk dance with two sidesteps to the left, and then two to the right, followed by a turn in four steps ... because it's OK to change my mind

Monday, November 6, 2023

Memory Lane: Blackbird Designs

I've been browsing through my collection of Blackbird Designs books as research for the Bramble Blooms QAL.  I can remember purchasing my first Blackbird book, Nuts and Berries, from Tall Mouse craft store way back in 2000 and being instantly smitten by their design aesthetic.  

And here's one of the quilts I made from that book, completed in 2003 and gifted away many years ago.

I've made hundreds of quilts through the years (I recently finished #928 of my lifetime quilt tally) (!!!), and I'd kind of forgotten how strongly I've been influenced by the Blackbird books. To my knowledge I have a complete set of their quilt publications, including all the rare out-of-print ones.  And I'd forgotten just how many quilts I've made through the years that used their patterns or were 'inspired by' their books. 

As a matter of fact, right now this is the quilt that's on the daybed in the family room, the inspiration found in You're Invited and my own version, made back in 2014:

My quiltmaking journey has been long. I should start capturing memories about this activity that has been a very important part of my life for decades.

***************